Cases such as those Chip describes probe far too deeply into what the religious
claimant believes. And they are not the only ones. Congress tried to address
such cases in the RLUIPA amendments to RFRA, specifying that a religious
practice need not be compulsory or central to be protected. The brief that the
Baptist Joint Committee and I filed emphasizes the error of these cases, the
danger of overly intrusive inquiries, and the need for substantial deference to
religious understandings of what is burdensome.

But we say that such deference cannot be absolute, that it never has been
absolute, and that if it were absolute, absurd results would follow. But
absolute deference is what both sets of petitioners ask for. They say the
courts can examine sincerity, and they can examine the magnitude of the penalty
for non-compliance, but then the substantial burden inquiry is over. Courts
cannot examine the substantiality of the burden on religion, apart from the
penalties.

And as Marty suggested in a separate post, our brief explicitly proposes a
bright-line test: “Religious objectors are not entitled to exemptions for
secular entities they deal with at arm’s length, or to control the government’s
regulation of such entities.”

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-243-8546