I recognize this hypothetical, based very indirectly on a real incident, is
more speech than religion, but I hope Eugene will allow my post to go forward
in any case.

Suppose a LGBT student group at a public university invites a guest speaker to
present a scheduled lecture in a university classroom. The campus
administration allows student groups to invite speakers and to sign up to use
campus facilities with few restrictions.  It is a common practice. A group of
religious students strongly opposed to the speaker's message disrupt the
speaker's presentation after it has begun. They commandeer the front of the
room and chant anti-LGBT messages for 3 - 4 minutes. Then they leave.
(Alternatively, we can reverse the facts and have  the presentation of a
religious speaker invited by a religious group of students disrupted by gay
rights proponents to a similar extent.)

I have two questions for list members.

1. Is the conduct of the protestors protected by the Free Speech Clause of the
First Amendment? Does the First Amendment prevent the university from
prohibiting this kind of protest through content neutral time, place and manner
regulations and from punishing the protestors' conduct if the regulations are
disobeyed? (If you think that this is or is not protected speech, are there
particular cases you rely on to support this conclusion?)

2. Does the answer to the first question change in any way because religious
speakers, protestors, and messages are involved in these incidents.

Alan Brownstein