More than fair;  I think I more meant the pool context than the university
context.

Separately, this is an interesting parallel to racism.  The Court correctly
determined with respect to race that separate but equal is awful.  In the
religious context, for some faiths, can separation be what they prefer,
even in places that are government-run?

A religious idea that women in certain faiths get "equal protection" when
they swim separately screams inconsistent with every case on the books
(except *Korematsu*, sadly), but in the area of religious diversity, isn't
the state to be admired for encouraging the expression of beliefs different
than the consensus?  The state couldn't impose that belief, to be sure, but
isn't it to be admired for it?

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu> wrote:

>                So that universities could give admission preferences to,
> say, evangelical Christians, if they conclude that they are
> underrepresented among students or on the faculty?  To the more devout of
> all faiths, if it thinks they are underrepresented?  I think race-based
> admissions preferences (the programs which are most often defended using
> “racial diversity” arguments) are troublesome enough; religion-based
> preferences strike me as even worse.
>

>                Eugene

Michael Worley
J.D., Brigham Young University