From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Worley
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:17 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: "Religious diversity" as a compelling interest for discrimination
in universities?

More than fair;  I think I more meant the pool context than the university
context.

Separately, this is an interesting parallel to racism.  The Court correctly
determined with respect to race that separate but equal is awful.  In the
religious context, for some faiths, can separation be what they prefer, even in
places that are government-run?

A religious idea that women in certain faiths get "equal protection" when they
swim separately screams inconsistent with every case on the books (except
Korematsu, sadly), but in the area of religious diversity, isn't the state to
be admired for encouraging the expression of beliefs different than the
consensus?  The state couldn't impose that belief, to be sure, but isn't it to
be admired for it?

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Volokh, Eugene