Michael:  Thank you for asking.  Of course I have no objection to protecting
the least among us, let alone to the Golden Rule.  Those are wonderful
aspirations and guides to behavior, and they might even appropriately be
considered in government decision-making, including even in deciding when
to concede a lawsuit.  But this is a case of an Attorney General publicly
suggesting that an official decision of his was made by virtue of "Jesus's
directive."  And in an Establishment Clause case, at that!

I don't think it is necessarily unconstitutional for a state official to
make decisions based upon injunctions of religious authorities (or, at
least, that's not typically justiciable); but I do think it is
inappropriate to publicly invoke such religious authority in explaining the
basis for one's action on behalf of the state.  I've been involved in many
such decisions, and can't imagine any government official so much as
proposing to invoke Jesus's authority as the basis for an appeal decision,
let alone actually announcing it.

If, however, my reaction is not universally shared (or my experiences are
less-than-universal), please feel free to ignore the final word of my post
-- suffice it to say that, at a minimum, an AG invoking Jesus certainly is
noteworthy, whatever one thinks of its propriety.