From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of James Oleske [jole...@lclark.edu]
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:54 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Mississippi AG Hood declines to appeal adverse decision on HB1523

In his statement, the AG indicates that one of his two reasons for not
appealing is that HB 1523 "did not change state or federal law" and, thus, is
an "empty bill." However, while it is true that MS does not have a statewide
LGBT rights law that would be affected by HB 1523, the city of Jackson recently
enacted an LGBT rights ordinance that would be affected, as HB 1523 defines
"state government" to include "a political subdivision of the state."

The conflict was highlighted by one of the attorneys challenging HB 1523 a
month ago:

"Jackson lawyer Rob McDuff, who is challenging Mississippi's House Bill 1523,
said the amended ordinance contrasts with the state's pending religious freedom
law. 'One problem with 1523 is that it limits, in some situations, the legal
protection that people have against discrimination,' McDuff said Wednesday.
"This is illustrated by the Jackson city ordinance we just passed. 'The city of
Jackson has a right to prohibit discrimination within the city limits, and 1523
threatens to diminish that protection.'"

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2016/06/14/jackson-council-passes-anti-discrimination-provision/85903510/

The second reason the AG gives for not appealing is his opposition to
"discriminating against" "one segment of our population." This is where he
invokes "Jesus' primary directives."

I think the AG would be on firmer ground if he instead (or at least in
addition) invoked the Equal Protection Clause when making that second point.

- Jim

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Michael Worley