Just came across this from David Saperstein’s testimony
<https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Saperstein_Testimony_05042017.pdf>
today.  He makes the point much better than I did--I would only add that
virtually all of his hypos could be extended beyond the church, to
countless activities of *all *501(c)(3) organizations:

Let me offer some hypotheticals of the implications of a proposal that says
any statement is allowed that does not involve extra expenses:

Suppose instead of one sermon, in every scheduled sermon for the half-year
running up to the election, the pastor(s) endorses various candidates and
reiterates those endorsements?

Suppose in every regular bulletin and regular email over those six months,
the pastor or church leaders focus on endorsements of a party or a
candidate(s)?

Suppose with the costs of local calls being de minimis these days, they
allow their phones to be used for campaign phone banks?

Suppose a church has their congregants fill out cards for the offerings for
later tax verification (putting their money and card in an envelope which
they hand in) — and the church then adds envelopes and cards to fill out
for contributions to the candidates they endorse and collect those with the
offerings and someone from the campaign comes by every week and collects
them.

Or suppose the President of Notre Dame or Catholic University adds a single
sentence to their regular email to their scores of thousands of alumni : “I
believe based on sound religious reasoning you should all vote for
Candidate A and oppose Candidate B.”

Certainly de minimis but is that how tax deductible money should be used?
In each of these there is no extra funding bulletins or emails, collecting
offerings) what they would normally do.

Are proponents of this legislation arguing that although you might
disapprove on other grounds, that as far as the law is concerned, this
ought to be allowed because it really doesn’t constitute using tax exempt
and tax deductible funding for partisan political purposes? What is the
cumulative value of the salaries and the overhead of the congregation in
making this electioneering possible? If the church is funded by tax
deductible contributions, are not these contributions subsidizing this
electoral activity? If the church has the benefit of tax exemption to
support its eleomosynary work, does not the tax exemption support
everything the church does including its endorsement activities? Everything
about the church is subsidized by tax exempt and tax deductible money. And
that is as true of one sermon as six months of sermons; of one bulletin as
six months of bulletins.