If your volt/multi-meter has a diode (drop) test
function, it might be a good idea to check the
large pass transistors for short,  no-short fault.

Although heat sink grease is not as popular for
new TO-3 transistor case mounts; I still remove
the pass transistors and clean the parts with
Acetone (Nail Polish Remover).
Follow the cleaning by reinstalling the TO-3 mount
pass transistors with a thin flim of heat sink
grease on the insulator and mate surfaces.

The original Astron Regulator in many versions
is problematic. Your problems reads typical, one
of the reasons I replace the entire reg board with
my upgraded circuit.

cheers,
skipp

www.radiowrench.com/sonic