Mathew Quaife wrote:

>Just for curiosity sake, and please no debates, I'm only curious at
>this point for knowledge, and to satisfy a question that was asked of
>me.  Currently I have a 6 cavity TX/RX duplexer system, which has 2.2
>dB of isolation.  The system is running 125 watts into the duplexer,
>getting just somewhat under 90 watts out.  How much difference would
>be noticed if the duplexer's were changed to use only 4 cans.  The
>difference that I am looking at is how much father would the repeater
>be heard, versus how far it would hear, how much noticable difference,
>considering I get no decense.  The repeater is in virtually an RF free
>location. Other than the isolation issue, what else would fall into
>the matter.  Thanks again, as I was asked why six cans over 4.
>
>Mathew

Going from 6 cavities to 4 is a step backwards.  The gain, because of
the reduction of insertion loss, in either the transmitter path or
receiver path would only be 7 tenths of a dB (.7 dB), hardly worth
worrying about, as you'll never be able to realize it actual use.

Keep what you have and value the piece of mind that you (likely) have
some reserve isolation; something many ham systems cannot boast.

Kevin Custer