Bob,

It is better to have someone so one can set down and talk to.  This e-mail is
great for bringing the world together, but face to face is much better except
for most of the ugly Hams I hang out with.

The problem with a tuner is the feedline losses, but better than no tuner at
all unless got resonant antennas.  On HF this is harder to do if one moves
about.

Putting the tuner at the antenna is a solution, but then get into remote
application.  Some tuners are automatic and tune whenever they see higher than
say 1.5:1 SWR.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: Bob Dengler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2007/08/30 Thu PM 12:53:11 CDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Duplexers

>OK, after talking to a senior RF engineer at lunch here at work I think I
>understand what's going on.  The part that threw me was having the matching
>circuit in the middle of the feedline & the fact that any reflected power
>from the load MUST be totally re-reflected back by the matching circuit,
>otherwise there would be power reflected back to the TX, which by
>definition does not occur in this example.  Because of the multiple
>re-reflections between the matching circuit & load resulting in multiple
>waves back & forth within that coax section, typical single-wave thinking
>doesn't apply.
>
>I guess it's a useful way to illustrate why coax gets lossier if you use a
>tuner far from the antenna.
>
>Bob NO6B

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575