At 9/25/2007 07:59, you wrote:

> >The noise floor is really decreasing the utility of the new
> >repeater. The noise source seems to come and go as a quiet signal
> >on the repeater input can become suddenly noisey, and vice versa - a
> >noisey signal can become suddenly quiet.
>
>It looks like you have a 10dB degradation. Many times this is from
>phase noise from other transmitters, but intermod can give you the
>same problems. I would look for a VHF paging transmitter if phase
>noise is suspected. This type of troubleshooting requires a good
>spectrum analyzer in most cases. I typically use the RX part of a
>duplexer on the front end of an ANRITSU 2721B to keep the first mixer
>in the spectrum analyzer happy. I hook up a 10dBd Yagi to the
>duplexer and start looking for the noise floor to rise. Once I have
>found the site that is causing the increase in noise floor, then the
>hard part comes, getting the other site to cooperate in further
>testing. What we ultimately want is for the other site to completely
>shut down for the time it takes to test the sensitivity of the
>receiver that is experiencing the degradation.
>
>Since you mention that the degradation is intermittent, you may be
>able to monitor other signals and see a correlation between when the
>suspect transmitter keys, and an increase in the noise floor in your
>bandpass. If the problem is because of intermod, then it becomes a
>little more difficult as you have multiple culprits.
>
>The spectrum analyzer you use should have a noise floor of around
>-120 dBm @10 KHz bandwidth.

The spectrum analyzer method is of course an excellent way to look for
interference sources.  However, a noise floor of -120 dBm @ 10 kHz RBW is a
bit on the deaf side when you consider that your repeater RX will be almost
10 dB better than that.  You might consider adding a preamp & an additional
pass cavity in front of the analyzer to maximize sensitivity if at first
you don't find anything.

Bob NO6B