Tom

I think you have a corrosion problem in your antenna system.

I had a similar if not identical problem in a 2 meter repeater here----years of
good performance and then serious desense. I ran the same tests as you have
with same results.

The fix here was an overhaul of the Hustler 144-G7 if I remember the numbers
right. Corrosion was found in several places-----fix was to clean down to bare
metal to bare metal and reassemble with no-ox in the joint and more under
several layers of shrink tubing over the top for weather protection. The
antenna is still in service with no trouble.

Corrosion in the antenna results in transmitter signal rectification within the
antenna which produces noise of sufficient bandwidth to cover your receive
frequency and this of course comes back down your feedline and properly goes
right through your duplexer into your receiver. The curious thing is that under
most conditions, this wide band noise results in desense without changing the
audio noise output from your repeater receiver when your repeater transmitter
is switched off.

The fact that desense goes away when the antenna is replaced with a dummy---I
assume that you are injecting your test signal into you receiver using an
attenuating "T"----I think your problem is your antenna or something very close
by that it is exciting.

Scott