At 03:19 PM 07/01/09, you wrote:
>Not that impressive really.  Whats all this crap worth, maybe $20k?

Well, item 105 is a VHF MTR2000 repeater.  Think that might be
worth something ?

Item 117 on the list is a box of 123 handhelds.  Pages 4-7 list them.
There are a number of HT1000s and HT750s and at least one XTS.

Item 202 is a Sinclair Q3220E UHF duplexer.  Tessco catalog
shows $1100 as the price.

I could go on...

>Not really that much money.

You would be of a different opinion if it was your XTS that
disappeared, or your hilltop repeater that evaporated.

I posted the newsletter fragment so that those that HAVE had
stuff disappear might take a look at the serial number lists and
maybe recover some property.

This mailing list has over 4500 members, and the published story
specifically encouraged re-mailing it to others.  Hopefully the VCSO
detective will get some phone calls or emails stating "you've got
my equipment".

And stuff HAS disappeared from mountaintop sites over the years.
I've seen photos of buildings that have been broken into - some
were as simple as backing a truck trailer hitch into the door and
driving away with it.  Others were broken into by drilling out the
door locks. The perps have gone through the building walls in
several cases.

>FM broadcast parts pop up in rather strange
>places these days for cheap since theres really not much legitimate
>commercial market for a boat-anchor transmitter.

A complete 1kw FM broadcast transmitter is unusual enough when it is
recovered in a pile of land mobile radios.  Plus the newsletter, while run
by a ham, is oriented towards the broadcast community, and Mr. Gonset
naturally chose to focus on the broadcast equipment.

And there is plenty of market in rural areas, and in Mexico.

>You'd think someone smart/slick enough to get away with stealing that
>much gear would likely be smart enough to not get busted by the FCC for
>screwing with mall cops.

True,  and there is no way to tell what goes through some peoples minds...

Some of the comments on this news page are interesting.
<http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/jun/30/to-malls-radio-frequencies-jammed-man-arrested/#comments>

>Did this guy sell LM radio/programming for a living?

Don't know.  One local gentleman thinks that he works (worked?) for a
local TV station.

Mike WA6ILQ