At 8/4/2009 22:15, you wrote:

>I especially like the idea of power output being a function of the
>RSSI-very intriguing!

Actually I don't think that's a good idea.  Just because one station is
strong into the repeater doesn't mean the unit he's communicating with with
be close to it as well.

>Experimenting with a 300 mW repeater, I found that I could have six inches
>of antenna separation with a 600 KHz split, but the antennas had virtualy
>no gain, and not too many people are going to want a 1/3 Watt repeater!

...or be able to override severe desense.  Even at 300 mW, 6" of separation
@ 2 meters is practically nothing.

>Things I have absolutely ruled out are having a duplexor (denies us
>frequency agility)

Then plan on running split site.  You probably won't be able to get enough
antenna separation at a single site with no filtering of any kind to get
the desense down to an acceptable level.

Your best bet is to lean on your local 2M freq. coordinator to provide a
wide-split portable repeater pair like we have in SoCal & use a mobile
duplexer.  Eric Lemmon's comments on this subject are spot-on, & I also
have a couple of portable 2M repeaters made from G.E. MVPs.  One has the
UHS preamp installed in the RX & is used in the middle of downtown LA -
zero IMD or desense.

Bob NO6B