At 8/5/2009 15:40, you wrote:
>Gareth,
>
>I like your  portable repeater! Is it Yeasu/Vertex based? I agree that an
>RSSI controlled repeater could be problematic for outlying areas, so if it
>was implemented, we would want to take careful steps to make sure it was
>appropriate. My thinking was that the relatively small footprint served by
>a portable repeater with marginal antennas and low power output might
>militate towards limiting the power. Of course, any low power units trying
>to hit the repeater would tend to make it vote towards higher power
>output, so maybe the wisest course would be to just set a fixed power, or
>offer the repeater owner remote power level control. I am trying to make a
>unit significantly smaller and lighter than your 22 pound machine, so
>power savings is going to be an issue!

I just weighed my MVP portapeater: 11.5 pounds, battery not included.  You
could try a pair of commercial HTs, but the duplex ability of this unit
depends on the filtering of the helical resonators in the RX.  I tried
swapping out a pair of amateur-grade HTs (Icom IC-32AT & Alico G5T) for the
MVP, & got severe desense.

Bob NO6B