Agreed Rob.

ACSSB is nothing more than regular old SSB with a few things added. The
compandering is simply speech compression on the transmit end and an
equivalent expansion on the receive end to restore the dynamic range of the
voice. This gives some noise reduction in the circuit.

As mentioned before the SEA radios placed the pilot tone in the middle of
the band pass. The other guys just inserted some carrier (as I remember) for
a pilot. This has been done for many years in the marine radio service on
the SSB circuits. The carrier was run at 20 db down from peak power.

The repeaters were licensed with a specific ERP and height above average
terrain. So combiner loss, cable loss, antenna gain and height above average
terrain were all factored in to determine the power output of the repeaters.
The biggest problem was the cost of the equipment. They could not get the
cost down to be competitive with FM.

ACSB started out on the VHF bands with a few channels placed in-between FM
two way channels. The problem there was too much interference from the FM
side bands that clobbered the ACSSB receivers. Being amplitude based there
is no capture or limiting like there is with FM so any little noise is
heard. ACSSB can have much better range than FM with a clear channel (no
noise) but it is hard to find such.

SEA petitioned the FCC for a portion of the 220 band to get ACSSB only
channels to get away from the problems with sharing with FM on the VHF
channels. It was a good thought but the equipment had other problems, mostly
manufacturing at reasonable cost.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____