Actually the DOD has been using these for some time and several
bomb disposal robots used higher power than these in the 440 band.
I know, I had and used several before retiring.
I am not worried as much about the interference to US.
Weak signals and short duration events.
What I am more concerned about is the Public Safety Officials
wanting to arrest a Ham that just happens to be at a scene
using his/her 440 HT, and apparently causing interference
to a bomb disposal or Haz-Mat team using one of these things.
As you might guess, they are not the most robust RF link
and Cops being Cops, they won't know that THEY have to suffer
the interference.
Likely the sales people won't make a point of that.
Nor will anyone pull the RF equipment when these things go
to surplus for auction.
I am afraid these might be bigger problems.
All in all it was such a bad decision to allow on 440.