At 3/9/2010 16:29, you wrote:

> > Here's the idea. This is a remote RX site. The idea is
> > to run something like a beefed up X500 dualbander at tower
> > top, then 7/8 hardline 100 feet down to the receivers.
> > Both receivers will have one or two bandpass cavities
> > inline before the T. Would a duplexer be necessary in
> > this case. Or could it be done with proper cable lengths
> > and a T?
>
>Doesn't even need the special cable lengths....

It most certainly does.  Try random length cables from the cavities to the
T instead of 1/4 wavelength (like one local did several years ago) & watch
your sensitivity drop by over 20 dB if you're unlucky (as he was).  That
mistake literally killed off a local radio club, as few of the members were
able to use the repeater following the addition of the T & wrong cables.

>but there is
>a reason for doing everything and here comes questions 101.
>
>Will the receivers stay on one frequency as in a repeater
>receiver or do you need to move around each band a bit?

If he's got bandpass cavities in front of the RXs already, they're very
likely not frequency-agile.

>How much other RF is around?  ... does the site have a lot
>of transmitters and are any of the high power monsters as
>in the case of paging or broadcast?
>
>If you don't have a lot of adjacent frequency operation
>going on there are two other options to consider. One is
>the Diamond or Comet type of band splitter, which actually
>would take the place of your T and be much better.

That would be my choice, but if he's already got the cans, a pair of 1/4
wavelength cables will be much cheaper.

I'd stay away from using a broadband isolated power divider (splitter), as
you'll lose 3 dB in the split.  The frequency-splitting options lose
virtually no signal.

Bob NO6B