I would look for a shorted tantalum capacitor hanging somewhere on the
10V rail. If you hook 10V from an outside source to the 10V buss, you'll
probably find it's drawing all kinds of current. The 10V regulator
circuit will go into fold back before burning up. This is by design. I
usually hook a source of 10V at about 1.5A and look for smoke. It's
usually one of the tantalum capacitors that starts to smoke. Once it's
done smoking, problem solved!!

I have lost track of how many shorted tantalums I have had over the
years. When they occur in the B+ of the high current PA supply, they
simply burn up and th problem fixes itself. The 10V regulator doesn't
have enough guts to burn them up, so they stay shorted and wait for
someone to find them. Often times it is a cap on the mixer board. Those
are fed though a resistor of a few ohms.

Good luck,
Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC