Recrystal MSR-2000 Channel Elements

> "Path_Finder.Geo" <kb1...@...> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I am going to post this message here because
> batlabs didn't approve my post. Apparently it's too harsh
> to tell people, "PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO HAVE SOMEONE
> ELSE DO IT."

Hi Jeff,
Apparently you do not play the BatLabs Game very well? I'm
sure you'll survive with the ever so perky bunch over here.

> I am looking for information on how exactly to re-tune
> a channel element for a MSR repeater.  I've seen
> instructions as far as what to adjust on the element
> itself, but what I really need to know is; what equipment
> is required, how to hook that equipment up to the channel
> element, and what to look for while adjusting the channel
> element.

The transmit channel element is best adjusted for frequency
center by using a Communications Service Monitor setup to
sample (off the on-air signal) read the main carrier
channel/frequency.  The simple way to set the IDC Control/Pot
is to set the Transmit CTCSS (PL) Tone deviation to about 750Hz.
In a stock MSR-2000 the repeat audio level is then set using
the level pot on the Squelch Gate Module.

If you don't have access to a Service Monitor, a decent Frequency
Counter will at least let you "net" (adjust) the frequency to
F-center (on the desired frequency).

If you move the transmitter more than say... 500 kHz from its
last alignment location, you should repeat the Service Manual
Alignment steps on or near the new frequency.

The Receiver is a different animal. Take the Receiver frequency
and add and/or subtract the receiver IF frequency (most often
10.7 or 10.8 MHz for the VHF Receiver).  The formula you use
depends on your receivers IF Frequency and "Injection Chain",
which translates to which side of the IF the multiplied crystal
frequency ends up on.  In your example it's probably F-frequency
minus the IF Frequency equals the multiplied Channel Element
injection frequency, which is what you want to set/align.

Put a X1 Scope/Text Probe on your Service Monitor (or Frequency
Counter) Antenna (Low Level RF) Input and place it down onto/near
the receiver circuit board. You can also use a decent quality
frequency counter if you're more careful. At some location on
or near the board you will be able to monitor and measure the
output of the RX Channel Element Frequency, then set it for the
expected Injection Frequency.

As an example: A receive frequency of 151.625 MHz minus a 10.7
IF frequency equals 140.925 MHz. "Sniff" around the receiver
board until you observe a signal in that area, then "net"
(adjust) the channel element frequency to the expected 140.925
F-center location. If you can't find the expected frequency
you might run the numbers for a 10.8 IF Frequency and sniff
around 140.825 for the channel element injection frequency.

In both the above examples, a X1 (times-1) Scope Probe or something
similar is handy to use. If you can't get/find a signal, make a
short antenna probe by clipping a small length of insulated
regular wire onto the end of the probe. The end of the wire held
by the Scope Probe "jaws" should obviously be stripped bare.
Try not to allow the sampling wire and/or probe to directly
contact/short any of the exposed metal parts on the receiver
board.

> Now I realize that I need a new crystal as well, and I
> realize it can all be done professionally with temperature
> compensation.

Yeah but in many cases "professional" is a lot more expensive
than it really has to be.

> But what I want to know is how I can do it myself just
> to get started and make sure everything is going to work
> the way I want before I pay out big bucks to have it all
> done the right way.  I have an extra set of channel
> elements, so playing around with one set isn't going to
> affect having the other set done professionally if I
> mess something up.

For me there are two regular places to order crystals. The
first is International Crystal Manufacturing, always high
quality but you will find the pricing a bit steep for any
casual crystal/channel element work.

The second location for me is Bomar, where I pretty much
buy all my channel element crystals. Their quality, pricing
and wait time is in my opinion more than fair. Their only
down side (to me) is their $50 min order amount. So you might
need to order a few extra crystals to make an order amount.
Not a problem if you think ahead or pal-up with someone else
to place an order.

I call Bomar with a Visa Card in the other hand, tell them I
want Crystals for Mitrek/MSR-2000 Channel Elements KXN-1086
and KXN-1088 types. There are other MSR Channel Element numbers
you can use, but the above model numbers are the most popular
and should be interchangeable with anything you might have.
At a price of about $15/$20 per crystal (last time I had some
cut) I order at least 4 crystals to make the min order amount.

Wait the normal time (they do have rush service for more $$)
and the "rocks" show up at your door.

Carefully remove the Channel Element Cover along with the
insulating sleeve and desolder the old crystal, replacing it
with your new rock. Replace the cover, label the channel
element with the new frequency and your ready to rock and
roll.

> Thanks for any help you can give me,
> Jeff - KB1SPH / WQEX694

There are other places to buy crystals but I haven't used
their services so I obviously have no qualified comments on
those sources.

Good luck Jeff...  jump in, the water is fine (but it's deep)

cheers,
s.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_guacamole/