Re: Simrex - GLB Pre-Selector  Pre-Amplifier

> Kevin Custer <kug...@...> wrote:
> While the skirts and OBR of the GLB might beat a
> single cavity, many times it isn't necessary -

The better skirts are mucho desired.

> especially if the receiver that follows is
> able to cope with high out of band signals and
> the preamp that follows the cavity has a high
> overload point.

The question in each example/application is how well
and is it enough...

> The problem is, like any receiver that has several
> helicals in cascade before the first active stage,
> the loss that precedes the active stage has a majority
> role in the overall NF of the system that follows.  It
> matters little what the quality of the active stage is,
> because the loss has already determined (for the most
> part) the system Noise Figure.

Kind of makes it look like helicals are a sin doesn't it...

> The GLB preselector preamp has 4 helical stages of unknown
> (unknown to me) coupling.

Depends on the Pre-selector Model and age of the box ...
I have GLB units here with two pre-device stages and three
post-device stages. And I have versions with a more traditional
helical design and others with more of a lumped parts layout.

A 2-Meter version I have lots of pictures of has 1 stage of
pre-selection and four trailing stages. The active device is
an MRF-901. And the coupling for this model is a slightly
different method than some (not all) of the other models I
have looked at.

Kind of interesting how the various models differ...

I do have a number internal view pictures of GLB Models if
anyone really burns to see them.

> If they are over-coupled (and I believe they are not
> looking at the response curves) only a few dB of loss
> will occur before the active stage.  If they are lightly
> coupled (which I believe is true) then several dB of loss
> occurs ahead of the active stage.

Both the above situations occur depending on the band/model and
production version. The coupling of the one model I have nearby
is with/a (relatively) high-Q capacitor probe. Another vhf
model uses a more traditional wire probe layout.

> Every dB of loss ahead of the first active stage ADDS to
> the system NF - period. This loss can NEVER be recovered
> no matter how good the preamp is that follows.
> Kevin

Yep.

However,
In more than a few real world situations you might really
need the filter pre-selection a lot more than the most
optimum NF. A practical trade of pre-selection for a slightly
higher noise figure can and does sometimes make the difference
in a usable radio system.

The lunch my not be free, but it doesn't have to cost a lot.

"now go do the right thing"

cheers,
s.