Nate,
I have both the 12th and 14th edition of the ARRL Antenna books, the 12th I
acquired in 1974 and have read and re-read the section on transmission lines
and
impedance matching probabily more than anyone else has. I sometimes learn new
things with each re-reading, as there is much to be learned.
In my discussions with Kevin Custer about the length of the transmission line
connecting the xmtr output and the input to the duplexer, he suggested and I
accepted, to colaborate on an article explaining the problems associated with
matching the output impedance of a solid state transmitter of somewhat
different
than the normal 50 Ohms, and the attempts made by a manufacturer of duplexers
adapt (read match) the xmtr output via certain lengths of transmission line and
readjustment of the tuning of the cavity closest to the xmtr output to effect
this matching,  ignoring the possible degradation resulting to the pass and
notch characteristics.
The transmitter in our discussions was the HB GE Mastr 2 which, in the
information available to me, appears to be having an output source impedance of
35+ or - (some unknown) reactance Ohms.
Kevin commented that it appears that many hams are unaware of, or understand
the
methods needed, to do an appropriate job of impedance matching.
Therefor we will be making this article for the benefit of those who don't
understand the impedance matching necessary for optimum power transfer with a
simple to understand way of impedance matching without the use of the
infamous Smith Chart (which I have utilized for the past 50 yrs in all my
impedance matching solutions and cannot be without).
I agree that much information for impedance matching is contained in the ARRL
Antenna Book but in my experience, real life adaptation of this information is
and can be difficult to many hams.
There is also another book I rely on and recommend, which is  "Electronic
Applications of the Smith Chart" by Philip Smith.
Now, if you would like to contribute to our efforts I would gladly accept your
contributions.
Thanks for your input.
Allan Crites  wa9zzu