I inherited one of these with two of radios, one for the repeater, one for a
link.  On the link PA, the finals were taken out and only the driver was left.
Worked fine.
-----Original Message-----
Date: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:48:49 pm
To: <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Paul Plack" <pl...@xmission.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Running a Mastr II Repeater QRP

I'm working on a UHF ham repeater project for installation some time next year,
and was getting set to build one based on 35-watt Mitreks. I've just been
offered a 100-watt Mastr II UHF repeater, complete including the cabinet, just
taken out of service in a switch to narrow-band equipment.

I helped maintain a VHF Mastr II repeater for a club years ago, and once built
a UHF repeater out of a converted mobile, so I know the beast a bit, but have
two questions...

I don't know the current frequency, but suspect it's in the 460/465 MHz range.
Will it move down into the 440s without a lot of grief?

Also, I don't need anywhere near 100 watts, and need to avoid abusing the good
nature and power bill of my landlord. (Also hope to have battery backup.) Can
the 100-watt UHF PA be jumpered from an intermediate stage to the filter,
bypassing the final? I seem to recall these would run at something in the
10-25-watt range with such a mod.

Or, is this just gross overkill for a local repeater, and the Mitrek-based idea
more appropriate?

Now, where's my hand truck...

73,
Paul, AE4KR