Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: tape or hard drive?

I personally would get a buslink USB hard drive (or two or howevermany you need.)
I might get some flack for suggesting this but It works great and its cheaper than tape.
You also never have to change a tape.  The only thing to be leary about is its extention.
being yet another 3rd party extention it might not play well with some.   I have tested this
in two different situations and it works great.  We backup maybe 60 gigs just about
every day.  This translates to 48 or so gigs (after 2 months) with Retros compression on.

My next step is to impliment another one of these drives and start a rotating backup
scheme so I can keep a copy off site.   ( if anyone has a step by step for this I'd
appreciate it. )  This single Hard Drive has been backing up for about two months
and can probably go for about another month before I will have to either re-write it
or switch to another HD.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've been using an external SCSI hd for my backups for over a year, and
all has been going swimmingly -- 'til a few days ago when I
inadvertently shut off the external before the system had properly shut
it down.  The 'wrapper' and a couple of places on the 'extent' files
were blown, damaged beyond fixing.  I urgently need a replacement.

Now that I have the option, my dilemma is: Should I go with a tape
system for backing up, or stick with a hd?  How long does a tape last
before it gets stretched, or worn beyond useability?

I'm using a G4/400/9.0.4 ... a single user, not on any network.  Would
very much appreciate any and all feedback from yr personal experience
re: 1) tape or hd, and 2) specifically WCH tape system y'all are most
satisfied with, as I've never used one before.  Retrospect is TERRIFIC,
and so at least ONE part of my solution is already in place.

TIA,

-- Donovan D. Brooke
Systems Administrator/
Assc. Art Director
Epsen Hillmer Graphics

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hm?"
-Yoda