on 22/2/01 2:52 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Should I go with a tape system for backing up, or stick with a hd?

Not really an easy question to answer because selecting appropriate media
depends a lot on how much data needs to be backed up.

Personally I like to use both.  My general strategy is to have a 2nd disk
with sufficient capacity to hold a full backup and a week of nightly
incrementals.  At the end of the week I do a backup to tape then recycle the
disk based storage sets.  I cycle the tapes off site.  Depending on the
capacity of the tape, the end of week tape may be a full backup or it may be
a backup of the backup disk.

In developing a backup strategy its always a compromise between cost and
potential to lose data.

Cheers,  Malcolm