I just did two test backups using a DDS-3 drive. One to a DDS-3 tape and
the other to a DDS-1 tape. Both with verify and both ran fine. And I
remember that with an upgrade I did two weeks ago from a DDS-1 to a
DDS-3 that I continued with the DDS-1 tapes until the DDS-3 tapes came
in. All of this with HP drives.