Hello,

Sometimes the Disk First Aid utility and even Norton can not detect the -36
error.

Apple's Drive Setup does not do a "low level format" on IDE hard disks,
which means that bad blocks (-36 errors) will not be fixed by using the
format option in Drive Setup. Zero all data is also not helpful.

You should run the "test disk" option in Drive Setup. This will look for and
repair bad blocks (sector sparing as Apple calls it).

Apple's TIL entry for this error:

Type -36 error (I/O Errors) This file is having difficulty while
either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have
been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be
damaged. This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on
the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery
software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting
with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the
data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored
on a different disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from
this error.

Regards,

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
925.253.3050
++++++++
Try our new Searchable Knowledgebase at:
http://partners.dantz.com:591/faq/

--------