After I saw the series of postings on VXA tape capacity, I thought
it would help to get some info to you straight from us at Ecrix.
In this email, you'll find answers to these questions:
- Which files compress and which don't?
- How does Dantz software compression work with VXA?
- How does a VXA drive optimize for speed vs. capacity?
- What are the factory settings of the VXA drive?
- Does the firmware level affect tape capacity?
- How do I check my firmware version?
- How is tape capacity reported?
- How do I check my firmware version?
- Where do I get VXAtool and new VXA Firmware?
- Does VXAtool run on Mac?
- Does the VXA drive use streaming like other tape drives?

I hope that this is useful info. Let me know if you have any more
questions or comments.

- Frank Saab
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Ecrix
----------

- Which files compress and which don't?
  gif files, jpeg's, mpeg's, mp3's, etc. are pre-compressed
  and you cannot expect any further compression. Text files,
  word documents, source code,  etc., compress at an average
  ratio of 2 to 1. Binaries, executables, and system files
  compress at about 1.4 to 1.

- How does Dantz software compression work with VXA?
  If your files are compressible, turn software compression
  off and hardware compression on. If the files are not
  compressible, turn both hardware and software compression
  OFF. You reset hardware compression with VXAtool. Software
  compression is set in the Retrospect interface. If you
  are having trouble setting hardware/software compression,
  please contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- How does a VXA drive optimize for speed vs. capacity?
  The VXA drive can run in one of two modes: One optimizes
  for speed (this is the factory setting). The other mode
  optimizes for capacity. If your connection to the drive
  is slow, use the capcity mode to get the most capacity
  on the tape. You can reset the mode with VXAtool.

- What are the factory settings of the VXA drive?
  The drive is set with hardware compression on and is set
  to favor speed over capacity.

- Does the firmware level affect tape capacity?
  VXA firmware older than V21E1E1F (released 04/04/00) does
  not let you select speed versus capacity optimization. With
  the newer firmware, you can use VXAtool to reset this option.
  The latest version of firmware is V2959 released 02/26/01.

- How do I check my firmware version?
  You can use VXAtool to check your firmware version.

- How is tape capacity reported?
  Almost all storage hardware manufacturers (including Ecrix)
  use the IEEE method of reporting capacity, where one GB is
  1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes. Retrospect software uses a different
  method, where one GB is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes. Because of
  this, the maximum capacity that Retrospect will report on a
  VXA 33 GB tape is just over 30 GB, which is almost 33 GB by
  the IEEE method.

- Where do I get VXAtool and new VXA Firmware?
  They are available from http://vxa.com/support

- Does VXAtool run on Mac?
  VXAtool is available in different versions for Mac, Linux,
  Windows, and DOS.

- Does the VXA drive use streaming like other tape drives?
  VXA drive is the first tape drive that does not use streaming.
  Its packet format lets it work at variable speed. This avoids
  shoeshining/backhitching, which are detrimental to the drive
  and to the tape. We have videos explaining this in more detail
  at http://vxa.com/vxa and http://vxa.com/tour