My department has two DLT4000 drives, one connected to a Mac and the other to a
PC.  The one connected to the PC is an autochanger.  Both work
flawlessly with the current versions of Retrospect and OS's on the
machines.

We switched from Arcserve on the PC to Retrospect and have never
looked back.  Arcserve was very expensive cow of a program.   In
total, we spent about $3000 on software just to get the network
backups to happen.  The interface is terrible and the guy that was
trying to learn all the facets of Arcserve had a hell of a time
proving that the backups were happening at all!  We discovered that
we were reading the log incorrectly and that it was skipping about
4-5 machines during backup.  Unfortunately, one of the machines had
crashed.

We switched to Retrospect about a week later and now we can easily
look at the report and see which machines were backed up each night.

I know that probably 99% of the problem was lack of understanding the
program, but if it takes that much understanding to even tell if the
backups happened, it's not for me.   Retrospect, nothing else even
close.

If Dantz went out of business, we'd all switch to Linux around here.  :)