Hi,

We are basically a Windows and UNIX shop but we do have one Linux
machine to play around with.  Since I'm the one with Linux experience, I
was chosen to get the system up and running.  I originally installed
RHEL 4 last year on this Dell desktop and all worked just fine.  Our IT
department gives us Windows PCs with Hummingbird Exceed.  Exceed is
essentially a X server that runs on the PC.  With other tools in Exceed,
I can start an X terminal on a *nix machine and have it display on my
Windows desktop.  I can also run a remote desktop.  This is what I do to
access the RedHat Linux system from my PC.

Under RHEL4 all worked fine.  No problems at all.  A short while ago,
after a catastrophic disk failure, I installed RHEL5.  I can still
access the system from my Windows machine using Exceed.  However, when I
log off of the remote desktop, GDM on the RHEL5 box attempts to start
another X server on the console of the RHEL box itself.  That fails and
leaves a message on the console because a X server is already running
there.

I've reported this to RedHat support but they are unable to recreate the
problem.  They requested that I upgrade my copy of Exceed, which I had
our IT department do.  I went from version 7 to version 12.  The problem
still exists.  I've been unsuccessful in finding any other reports of
this problem via Google.  So, I'm sending a note to this list to see if
anyone else has seen this problem and possibly has a solution.  Next, I
attempt to contact Hummingbird to see if they can help.

Thanks for any help, and let me know if additional info is needed.

Charlie Dennett

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.