2010/1/15 Zoran Popović <shoom...@gmail.com>:
> I feel deceived :( ... Itanium is not going to be supported after March 2014
> and in RHEL 6 ?!!?!?!! I know this probably is a bit late reaction, I have
> also a SR open with this question and a business case officially  documented
> in my company (I can send it gladly to anyone interested) with proposal
> based on RHEL and HP Integrity blades (Itanium). I will open another SR if
> needed, but I am not sure this is the best way. Now, can anyone give me
> deeper insights on this, hints how to turn somebody's attention (manager in
> RHEL which could help or at least deliver options), suggestions, anything ?
> I know that Itanium has a strange story, but you don't just give up like
> that  on a platform which is still supported by other vendors, this is not
> good. I have Micro$oft people here awaiting this situation with all the joy
> knowing that hardware migration is not an option, and HP being indifferent.

I think if HP is being indifferent about money its a sign that the
overall product is not going well. Most every Itanium project I knew
of has been moth-balled or converted to x86_64. One project which was
to replace an SGI MIPS cluster went to Itanium to x86_64 with the MIPS
still working and the Itanium being sold as spare parts.

Looking at the data, I would figure that the size of the Itanium
market is too small for continued investment. It is probably only
possible under very expensive contracts (as in 10-20x more than what a
contract is currently costing if what the costs in keeping old VAX
systems is anything to go by).. and most people would look at it and
say we could afford 10x as many Intel x86_64 boxes for that.

What vendors are still supporting Itanium?
How much time would it take to move off of that platform to another
architecture?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning