2010/1/18 John Haxby <j...@thehaxbys.co.uk>

> 2010/1/18 Zoran Popović <shoom...@gmail.com>
>

>>  I would imagine other vendors would offer me migration roadmap [...]
>> [B]eing informed years ahead what exact option he has.
>>

> I've don't think I'm mis-quoting with those two phrases, but there are two
> separate things here.  A migration "roadmap" (for want of a better word) and
> being informed well in advance.

Yes, I was writing something in distress, that is not what I was trying to
say - just erase that line in whatever memory it's stored ...

> You have a migration roadmap: it's implicit in the platform: the self-same
> operating system is available on Itanium and on x86_64.  The same apps
> (more-or-less) are available on both; isn't migration straightfoward?  I
> can't answer that, you'd have to ask the people responsible for the apps on
> your systems.

Yeah, I know that, as told previously - SAP + Oracle are main applications,
I have done many tests (and migrations, at least with Oracle), but that is
not the point - the main problem is that neither anyone here is willing here
to invest into different hardware architecture at the moment (everything is
HP based, so Itanium was a natural way) and that we need virtualization
technology for these systems, nor there is a will by key decision maker to
admit that Windows was a risky, if not very poor decision (it was planned
initially to be HP-UX).

> You have also been informed well in advance.  RHEL5 support will continue
> until 2014 and RHEL6 hasn't even been announced as a beta yet.   Do you
> expect your existing Itanium servers to keep running after 2014?  I'm sure
> you can pay Red Hat to provide continued support after 2014 if that's the
> case -- ask Red Hat.  And you haven't invested in Itanium for RHEL6 have
> you?

If it is possible - correct me if I'm wrong, after 2014 RHEL5 support will
be available only through OEMs ? I could imagine HP skinning us alive ... I
am satisfied with RHEL support so far, if that would be available after
2014, then it's fine.

> I haven't seen a chorus of people calling for RHEL6 on Itanium either here
> or anywhere else.  In fact I don't think I have seen anyone but you
> bemoaning this decision.   Have you told your Red Hat contact what you
> think?  What did they say (if its not under some NDA)?   I wouldn't be at
> all surprised if the decision was that it's not economically sound to
> support a dwindling platform, that the sales of Itanium licenses don't
> justify the development costs.

Would anything change if we obtain development subscription ? How much does
it cost, give me a hint ? Ok, many things happened since I've met someone
from Red Hat last time (about a year ago) - the main problem is that I was
instructed by CIO not to contact them directly (only through support) for
some stupid reason, even though the local RH call center is right here in
the same city, few kilometers away ... that is why I am starting to ask
around for any other possible contact. Given all these facts, I was aware
already that there's nothing much to do, but if you have any idea ... ok, I
did find some pills ...