On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 20:06 +0200, Peter Steiner wrote:
> i would like to know if tag edit capabilities are planned for
> integration into rhythmbox. this is a feature that is severely lacking
> in gnome, and i feel that the media player should support this
> directly.
>
> do you plan to integrate tag editing, or is this intentionally left
> out for another application to fill the hole?

Rhythmbox has contained some tag-editing code for a while, but it hadn't
been enabled by default because in the past it would sometimes
obliterate your files - passing --enable-tag-writing to configure when
building would enable it.

However a reasonable number of people have been using it in recent
versions, without any reports of destroys-my-files bugs, so we could
probably enable it now.

The important bit to note is that the level of support varies for
different formats:

ID3 tags (i.e. MP3s): works okay with both GStreamer 0.10 and 0.8, newer
versions are better.

FLAC tags: works for GStreamer 0.8, and would work for 0.10 if the
'flactag' element got ported. I started doing that a while back, but
never quite got around to finishing it.

Vorbis tags (i.e. Ogg Vorbis): Requires my new 'vorbistag' element which
hasn't gotten into GStreamer cvs yet, as it's waiting for a bug in the
'oggmux' element to be fixed first. I have a patch for the oggmux bug,
but it needs careful review to ensure it doesn't break anything.
Rhythmbox will support editing Ogg Vorbis files as soon as those two
things are in GStreamer.

Currently we don't support any other formats, but we can if the
appropriate GStreamer elements exist. If they already exist, we're happy
to add support for them. If they don't, they just need someone to write
them.

> i would be willing to invest development time into this, either for a
> complete solution or supporting code under the direction of developers
> already working towards such a feature...

As well as the technical side, we need to improve the interface for
editing tags in Rhythmbox. If you have any suggestions (or code) we've
happy to hear. In particular, things that need some work are:

* In the "song properties" window, it isn't clear whether it's editable
or not (we should "disbable" the entry somehow)

* You can use the Properties windows on multiple files to edit them at
one, what should happen when some of the files are editable and some
aren't?

* Being able to right click on an artist/album and say "Rename" and have
it change all your files would be nice.

* And many more things - there are several filed in bugzilla

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Things have never been the same since my arch enemy,
due to a slight clerical error, put a price on my shed.