Dear Alexandra,

The 1/4 divergence and 1/2 anti-scatter slits are narrow enough to give a
reasonably low background after 5 degrees 2Theta. First I would check that the
background is not related to the sample itself. It may be done by measuring an
empty sample holder.
The background may also be due to scattering from sample holder edges if the
holder diameter is small and the primary beam mask is wide or/and the Soller
slit divergence is big.
The automated sample changer can not produce background, but I am not sure if
the beam knife can be installed together with the changer. The beam knife cuts
the air scattering which is essential in the low-angle region. The standard
beam knife supplied by PANal is rather thick and if it is installed too close
to the sample surface it may attenuate intensity at high angles. With fixed 1/4
divergence slit the knife should be put about 3-4 mm under the sample surface
which must be safe for measurements up to 100 degrees 2Theta. To check if the
knife attenuates high angle reflections it is necessary to measure the same
sample with and without knife and then compare the intensities.
On my X’Pert I simply replaced the standard knife by a thin (ca. 1 mm)
stainless steel screen,  and installed it 3 mm above the sample surface which
allows preserving intensity up to 150 degrees 2Theta even with the 1/2
divergence primary slit and have a reasonable low-angle background. Of course,
the knife should also be properly centered on the diffractometer axis and
aligned vertically.

Best regards,
Leonid

Leonid A. Solovyov
Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Technology
660049, K. Marx 42, Krasnoyarsk, Russia
www.icct.ru/eng/content/persons/Sol_LA
sites.google.com/site/solovyovleonid