Craig;152325 Wrote:
> Well my system doesn't compete with some of the stuff the 'Audiophiles'
> talk about but one thing is quite clear.
>
> Listening to a well recorded track from an MP3 and the sound comes out
> of the fireplace. Listen to the same track in Flac and the image comes
> from the whole wall. There really is no comparison.
>
> I can see that somebody would rip their entire collection to MP3 and
> regret having to do it all again later. I can't imagine that happening
> with lossless.
>
> Craig

Not intending to throw any ice-water on this good discussion, but it's
important to bear in mind that not all MP3s are created equal.  I'm
assuming for the purposes of THIS discussion we're talking only about
MP3s ripped straight from the source CD using a good ripper, and
encoded at the highest bitrate the MP3 format allows, preferably using
LAME.

I don't mean to pick on Craig, and that's not my intention, but I
really do hear "MP3s sound bad" all the time.  When in fact they mean
"MP3s created with iTunes at 128kbps sound bad", or some such thing.
But we're not talking about low-bitrate MP3s created with sub-par
encoders, we're talking about the best-quality MP3s possible with
today's encoders.

I've got problems with the MP3 format myself (I don't use it for
anything I own), but at high enough bitrates, an MP3 will sound exactly
the same as a CD for the vast majority of music, to all human listeners,
period, and that's a statement which can be proven or disproven with an
ABX test any time you like.  Whether or not a format is transparent at
a particular bitrate for a set of tracks for a particular listener
isn't a matter of opinion or religion--you can test this yourself
scientifically and get an answer.  And if it's not double-blind, it's
not a valid test.

And yes, I'm the same person who posted the name of a sample which
completely wrecks MP3 at 320kbps.  My point was that "killer samples"
are not representative samples, which is rather the point.

--
CatBus