On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 22:59 -0400, Mark Misulich wrote:
> Hi,
> I started out using rkhunter version 1.2.8, then upgraded to 1.2.9 a few
> weeks ago.  I wasn't able to get 1.2.9 to update after I installed it,
> but it would check for rootkits.  I read that 1.3.0 was do to come out
> in a couple of weeks, so I decided to wait and see if upgrading to 1.3.0
> would fix the problem.  I installed 1.3.0 last night, but it wouldn't
> update after installation and running "propupd".  In terminal when I try
> to update the program (using "rkhunter --update"), I get the following
> message:
>
> The SCRIPTDIR configuration option has not been set by the installer.

Okay, thanks for the output you sent me.

You need to look at the last part of the output from the installer:

 >>> PLEASE NOTE: inspect for update changes in /etc/rkhunter.conf.18948
 >>> and apply to /etc/rkhunter.conf before running Rootkit Hunter.

When you installed RKH it saw that the file /etc/rkhunter.conf already
existed. The installer won't overwrite it, so it created a new dafault
one (rkhunter.conf.18948). The number is just a unique number. What you
need to do is integrate any required changes you had in rkhunter.conf to
the new (numbered) file, and then move, or copy, that new file to
rkhunter.conf. How you actually do this is up to you dpending on how you
administer your systems. The point being that RKH will use the
rkhunter.conf file. In your case you were running RKH version 1.3.0 but
with a 1.2.9 version configuration file. That won't work. That's why
when you removed rkhunter.conf everything suddenly worked. During that
installation RKH saw there was no previous file, so just created one for
you. You then had RKH 1.3.0 with a 1.3.0 config file.

Personally, I leave the rkhunter.conf as it is and add any changes only
to the bottom of it. That way, when a new RKH version comes out, I only
need to copy/paste the bottom part of the file to the new config file
(the one with the number). I then 'mv' the numbered file over
rkhunter.conf. But that's just me.

John.