http://www.hastingsresearch.com/net/06-anti-thesaurus.shtml

This is a proposal for a meta-tag to tell search engines to ignore certain
words on a page when scoring relevancy.  Among other things, it mentions
robots.txt as problematic:

"Also, returning to the robots.txt standard: it may be underused simply
because it is a security breach (the file openly lists URLs that webmasters
do not want visible through search engines). It is possible that many more
webmasters would be using it properly, if not for that security problem."

My opinion is that this is enormously impractical, but perhaps there's the
seed of a good idea in it.  However, it seems to me that if the authors of a
page would actually bother to create meta-tags to increase search
efficiency, it would be much easier (semi-automated, even) to create a tag
containing the *most* relevant words, not the least.

Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: 408-904-7198

--
This message was sent by the Internet robots and spiders discussion list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  For list server commands, send "help" in the body of a message