<x-flowed>At 9:30 PM -0800 3/10/2000, Andrew Daviel wrote:
>[snip]
>On my Apache server it's trivial to change some CGI url foo?id to foo/id -
>the parameters appear in path_info instead of query_string. I'd like
>to  see a 404 status when there's no match, though.

Munging the CGI URL is the only way to get pages indexed by the major
search engines.  Amazon does that and it works pretty well.  I know
that there were rumors of Inktomi indexing pages with ? in them, but
the others surely don't.  A guy from Excite told me that they found
most dynamic pages didn't have much value.  I understand but disagree
-- sometimes you just want to find kids' blue socks, you know?

Avi
The Complete Guide to Site Indexing and Local Search Engines
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://www.searchtools.com>
</x-flowed>