As long as we're kicking around what's new, here's mine.  I've been working
on a system that finds topical Internet discussions (web forums, usenet,
mailing lists) and does some analysis of who's who, looking for the people
who connect communities together, lead discussions, etc.  At the moment,
it's focusing on Java developers.  It's been quite interesting to see what
it discovers in terms of how various subtopics are related and what other
things that Java developers tend to be interested in.

Regarding markup, etc., in the back of my mind I've had the notion of
enhancing my spider to recognize how to parse and recurse forums and list
archives, so that I don't have to write new code for every different forum
or archiving format.  But it's not something I'd be comfortable tossing out
into the open, since it obviously would be a tool that spammers could use
for address harvesting.

I'm essentially creating a toolbox with Python and MySQL, which I'm using to
create custom information products for consulting clients.  For the moment,
those (obviously) are companies with a strong interest in Java.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: (408) 904-7198