Widgets are a new concept to me - but isn't the major use case that
site A will offer up a snippet of HTML/JavaScript and user B will want
to copy and paste that snippet into their blog?

So I was thinking that allowing Bookmarks to be code snippets would
solve that nice and easily.

What use cases does your proposal solve? It seems suited to one in
which blog hosts define a list of widgets and users get to choose from
that limited set of widgets?

Hen