On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I'm thinking what we really need here is some way to have our cake and eat it
> too.  Events stay one event, and that event is one long dash in the matrix,
> and a series of what appear to be discrete tied notes in notation.

I strongly agree. I have been getting very frustrated by the
mysteriously broken MIDI events in the matrix editor for some time. I
personally don't use the notation editor. So I hadn't realized that
this behavior was deliberate, and was planning to report it as a
bug. Because of this, it usually takes me on the order of an hour or
so to fix up each note in the matrix editor, after playing something
new of a just few minutes duration, on the keyboard, and this is
really really tedious. If this feature is truly something that is
useful for notation users, then a compromize would be to make this
behavior optional.  A tool for merging all such notes, post-facto,
would also be useful.

Note that another useful option would be a way to snap not only the
start times of notes to the grid, as one currently can, but also the
end times. What I most frequently do with Rosegarden, is compose
something live on a MIDI keyboard, then in the notation editor use the
snap-to-grid tool to fix up the start times of all of the notes that I
entered, to whatever granularity makes sense, then go through each of
the notes, deleting all the extra trailing parts of the notes that
rosegarden split, then go through each note again, extending it to the
right duration. This takes a lot of time.

Martin