På Torsdag 10 april 2008 , 13:39:57 skrev Anders F Björklund:
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > I have multip[le issues with changes like this:
> >
> > 1) the patch uses envvar's
> >     Using envvar's forces remote rpm to carry an environment along
> >     in order to run remote commands, and largely forces remote
> > execution with
> >     shell. There are many times/places that macros need expansion outside
> >     of a shell environment.
> >
> > 2) the patch adds support for functionality that rpm itself does
> > not need or use.
> >     The number of cpu's has nothing to do with rpmbuild.
Of course it does, make is used by rpmbuild, having a macro passing -j
argument to it based on number of cpus makes perfect sense.

> > 3) the patch continues to assume that a one-size-fits-all rpm
> > configurations is viable.
> >     On many if not most vendor systems, rpm configuration is
> > controlled outside
> >     of rpm itself with packages like redhat-rpm-config.

I don't really think that something that might not be fitting all sizes (in
the one size fits all scheme) should prohibit it's inclusion, if that were
true we'd have to clean out things already existing in the macros.

If the fear is to stuff too much junk irrelevant for some into the macros,
then maybe we could have a second set of macros for such? In my experience
and annoyance is that lack of standardization upstream leads to a lot of
unnecessary fragmentation in different ways of doing the same thing around
various distributions etc.

Macros can always be redefined if not appropriate for someone, so even then I
think it's good to have the standard macro to use to easily override and
adopt for own purpose.
So unless something gets actually broken by this, I really don't see the
problem.

> > But you need to find out what will happen. Perfectly understood.
>
> I didn't like the change either, but made it more portable anyway...
>
> My main problem is that the number of online processors doesn't
> have a straight mapping over to the number of parallel make jobs
> For instance, now that containers are fairly common it is regular
> to have a build instance with e.g. 8 CPU but only e.g. 256M RAM.
>
> And running "make -j8" on such a setup, quickly leads to swapping...
What a highly usual and standard configuration.. ;p

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind Karlsen