On Jan 17, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> 2011/1/18 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:
>> Rip it out please. Or I will.
>>
>> One cvan set the log directory in DB_CONFIG.
>>
>> Using DB_CONFIG is the means to set parameteres configrurably
>> for Berkeley DB. If you find the Berekeley DB configuration
>> machainsim useless, go honk at Orackle, not hack in rpmdb/db3.c
>>
>> Yes I'm serious. All of the overrides in rpmdb/db3.c are
>> going away.
> But DB_CONFIG overrides the settings in rpmdb/db3.c, not the other way
> around..

So let me state it this way:
        All database specific configuration is leaving rpm.

An odd statement for an application that embeds mongodb and sqlite3. whatever.

> I committed the changes to provide default values in case of missing
> DB_CONFIG.

There's those pesky "default values" again again again.

There is no case of missing DB_CONFIG that I wish to support:
        You die.

> Ie. in new environments, such as when installing to a clean chroot, no
> /var/lib/rpm/DB_CONFIG
> leads to rpm using /var/lib/rpm for log directory, then later during
> package installation, the
> DB_CONFIG gets installed with different values, causing breakage due
> to log directory changing..

You wiil need to learn to populate DB_CONFIG in chroot's before using.

> I first implemented a check for an existing /var/lib/rpm/DB_CONFIG in
> URPM, which would copy the /var/lib/rpm/DB_CONFIG outside of the
> chroot into it, but this was hacky and would also lead to it always
> taking precendence wrt. %config(noreplace) /var/lib/rpm/DB_CONFIG...

Do whatever you wish in URPM. I do _NOT_ wish to deal with Berkeley DB Hater's
expectations in RPM.