On Feb 14, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Silvan Calarco wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 February 2011 01:10:01 Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> BTW, what version of RPM? What arch? And with db-4.7.25?
>
> From: rpm 5.2.1 with internal db 4.7.25
> To: rpm 5.3.8 with external db 4.7.25
>
> rpm 5.2.1 db was created in a chroot (x86) environment, and I'm using 5.3.8
> in
> the tablet (arm). I suppose that arch is not relevant in this upgrade problem
> but I can make tests to be sure.

ix86 -> arm hasn't been tried, and is likely the most significant.

Could try on ix86 first? Then arm, then mixed ... I'll
fix whatever issues there are everywhere, just, first things first.

Note that all integer values in *data* are now in network order.
Previously only the "join keys" were byte swabbed, and were in
"native endian" rather than "big endian" (which makes btree
access less than optimal on ix86, and is in fact the primary
reason for having to do the conversion that I've been avoiding
in RPM for years, sigh).

>> (I know db-4.8.x "works", used in IDMS linux. I can/will check db-4.7.x;
>> my comments re gud enuf were based on API and functionality. But there
>> might be something else needed ... )
>
> Maybe, I think I'm completely in your hands here...
>
>> Can you do rpm -qa --dbpath /path/to/wherever?
>
> Yes -qa always works soon after removing DB_CONFIG and apparently lists all
> packages:
>
> # rpm -qa --dbpath /var/lib/rpm |wc -l
> 390

FYI: if you edit /usr/lib/rpm/macros, and add "debug", you will see every
access spewed out. E.g.

- %_dbi_config_3_Packages         %{_dbi_btconfig}
+ %_dbi_config_3_Packages         %{_dbi_btconfig} debug

There's also --rpmdbdebug but that's unlikely to be useful to you. Sill
the " ++ " and " -- " are reference count++ and count-- messages.

Almost all rpm objects have (at least) the reference count tied to --rpmfoodebug
(though the options don't always have rpm* and are hidden from --help).

hth

73 de Jeff