In regard to: Re: [CVS] RPM: rpm-5_4: rpm/scripts/ vpkg-provides2.sh,...:

Certainly lots of the scripts could use an overhaul.

Most shells SHOULD be POSIX compliant: but I will defer to Tim's opinion
on portability, there may still be some ancient shells in use somewhere.

I no longer have access to many of the UNIX variants we used to use, but
even Solaris 10 had a /bin/sh that was more traditional Bourne than POSIX.

And for Pinto's benefit, specifically related to the vpkg-provides script:
that script is really targeted at *non*-Linux, so portability to older
variants of /bin/sh is important.  No one needs vpkg-provides on an
RPM-based system, but it might save the day on an AIX or Solaris system
where you're trying to bootstrap RPM.  Keep in mind that even older
versions of the UNIX variants often had a POSIX shell stashed somewhere
(like /usr/xpg4/bin/sh on Solaris 8 or 9), but it wasn't the default shell
and a lot of newer admins wouldn't know of its existence.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)