Anders-----

>From lsbom it looks like there were some things in /private once, but no
more.  The Python packages are also gone.  The Perl package is still there,
and I wonder if I should leave it alone or get rid of it (would there be
any non-RPM dependencies it might break?).  And then once done should I
delete /Library/Receipts/RPM5.pkg itself?

I already followed the previous poster's advice, so I have already (mostly)
removed RPM.  It was so broken there was no way of querying what was
installed anyway.  A spotlight search for .rpm files has not turned up
anything.

(I did all this because brew doctor complained about the rpm files in
/usr/local.)

The mono installation was there, I think, because of Wine, but Wine is gone
because it was in a broken Macports installation (all these things seem to
break when the transfer to a new laptop happens).

If you know any good web sites that explain Mac software installation (the
pkg system, what all the various directories /usr/local, /private, etc. are
for), I'd love to hear about it.....

Thanks,

Nick.