On 2012-12-31 16:11, Johan Johansson wrote:
Hi All,

I've been spending most nights this Christmas trying to get rpy2 going on my win 7 machine. To keep it interesting, I've decided to go for 64-bit R and Python. I've got it to build using mingw-w64-dgn (I was unable to create the necessary missing 64-bit libpython27.a using rtools).

Wow... you are in completely uncharted territories.
Which versions of R, Rtools, and rpy2 did you try this with ? (I am understanding from the above that Python is 2.7, and I assume that this is the latest in the 2.7 series).

Unfortunately import rpy2.robjects crashes with a heap allocation error. I really don't know how to debug this since mingw won't generate PDB files, which gives windbg very little context to go on, and gdb is profoundly confused by python, presumably because it's compiled with vc, and fails to even display a rudimentary stack trace. Any words of wisdom from someone who has done this before?

I have not done it. I have tentatively fixed the C codebase in rpy2 to get it to compile with Win64, without having try it (for lack of time - I have Python, mingw and R installed in Wine, so technically I "only" need to sort out details). I am pleasantly surprise to hear that it does compile.

Silly question, but did you already try to compile for Win32 to check that the problem is Win64-specific ?

Best,

L.

Regards,
Johan