On 11/30/2013 04:33 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
On 30 November 2013 13:11, Laurent Gautier <lgaut...@gmail.com <mailto:lgaut...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Yet, I am not convinced that a BSD-type license is appropriate
    here. The
    liberal licensing types can easily use the project in isolation,
    either
    with a module calling rpy2

If your intention is that people can write code to call rpy2 (installed separately) without being bound by the terms of the GPL, you may want to make this clear in the public description of the licensing, because that's not clearly the normal interpretation of the GPL. I think this is permissible - code written in R is not bound by the GPL simply because it uses the language, so it would be hard to argue that code written with Python syntax to perform the same operations using R should be bound by the GPL.

Is there really a need to write all permissible usages ? The list can get really long.

My intention is to release rpy2 with a license that appears to comply with R's license, as the majority here seems to believe that it should be the case. I am only pointing out here that proponents of BSD-type licensing can try out their interpretation of licensing with their own library calling rpy2.

Also, keeping the full sentence, or even better the full email, when quoting someone could be perceived less misleading.

L.

Thomas