David,

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 06:30, David Hughes <davidpeterhug...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am a scientist at Penn State and the United Nations. We have a Platform
>> called PlantVillage that is a public good with a backend built on RoR with
>> various apps farmers use around the world to get help. The reason these
>> farmers (e.g. in Kenya) would use the tool is that they dont have access to
>> human experts who can help them know the problems in their field
>> (pests/climate change stress). You can read our blogs here
>> https://plantvillage.psu.edu/blogposts
>> I wrote back in 2018 to this group to ask about getting your help. Many
>> of you were very keen on helping. THANKS!!
>> I didnt follow up as I am not a coder. I pay a team in India to do this.
>> So, it was just easier to keep with them. I didnt even know where to start
>> in sharing the code on GitHub.
>> Now in recent weeks Ruby experts at Penn State (who built ScholarSphere
>> https://github.com/psu-stewardship/scholarsphere) have looked at our
>> code and it is very bad! Rubocop showing errors off the charts and no
>> tests/commit.

I'll take a look at it if you don't mind.

> It needs your help and we are actively trying to make sure we dont have
>> any privacy issues so we can open source it.
>> I am reaching out now as we have an extremely urgent situation though.
>> You may have seen the news about Locust swarms in East Africa? They are the
>> worse in 75 years
>> According to the UN, 19 million people are in immediate danger. They are
>> at Level 3 (crisis). Since we can expect hotter, drier weather in some
>> affected regions in the coming months (low crop outcome) the addition of
>> locusts in potentially a famine.
>> Here is an article today https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51501832 The
>> video is informative
>> They are mostly in Kenya where control is possible. But we need lots of
>> people out there with phone use our app and reporting sitings. Currently,
>> they use WhatsApp but since that is private we cannot get the GPS
>> coordinates of the locations.
>> The Indian team I employ built an app. But I am sure it has problems and
>> if we have thousands of users it could fail.
>> Here is the apk file of the app
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nAvTolDEz48mPLtIPO6abumW6KQAM-00/view?usp=sharing
>> It is super simple: It must do two things
>> 1) Allow users to upload images/videos from which United Nations Staff
>> can determine the location and stage of locust swarms
>> 2) Enable app users to have a free-ranging chat function. There should be
>> two chat channels: general (any users of apps) and admin (just select).
>> One of the problems we have is the code base for the locust app is tied
>> to the rest of out platform and apps. So, there are security issues if user
>> names and passwords etc.
>> Your coding skills could save lives here: that is not an exaggeration! If
>> you can help that would be wonderful. I am very new at this so dont know
>> your culture but am willing to learn. We have thousands of agriculture
>> experts and farmers working with us. We could have thousands of coders like
>> you. So, if you can be patient and help me build this we can create a
>> community using the skills you all have helping the poorest people on our
>> planet cope with stresses like locusts and climate change.
>> Fair warning! If you jump in the code won't be pretty and documented. I
>> can incentivize you with some swag :)

What sort of swag?

> I am trying to hire Ruby people at Penn State so will have an advert soon.

How much budget do you have available? -- H

--
If you wish to request my time, please do so using
*bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest

<https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFEBAD7FFD041BBA1>Sent
from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable