accepts_nested_attributes_for explicitly checks for associations to exist
https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/f33d52c95217212cbacc8d5e44b5a8e3cdc6f5b3/activerecord/lib/active_record/nested_attributes.rb#L340

fields_for does not require accepts_nested_attributes_for to be defined,
but it won't behave the same without that, you can inspect the generated
html on both cases